Holiday Chocolates

Holiday Chocolates
Holiday Chocolates -beats cookies any day!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chocolate, The Meso-American Way

Venchi Perperoncino. 75% chocolate with chillis! It may not sound good to you at first, but I think this is really worth a try! Venchi is Italian and they make a mean chocolate. It's imported so that means two things: you can probably only find it in chocolate shops or gourmet food stores and it is more expensive than your average bar. But any Venchi you can get your hands on is well worth the extra dollar. If you like spicy things in general, this simply can't be missed. It is a smooth, sweet chocolate with a taste that sort of reminds me of Oreos and it has a little kick to it from the chillis. The spice is mild in my opinion, but if you are not fond of spicy, try another Venchi bar instead.
There is a general trend these days in chocolate circles to recreate the Meso-American experience of blending chocolate with chillis and other spices. I haven't tried them all, but this is one I keep coming back to whenever I want a little excitement.
It is a small bar, 45 g. or 1.58 oz. with gold foil and a chilli-red wrapper with an illustration of a Mayan Temple, cocoa pods and chillis. The English translation is "Pure Extra Bitter Chocolate with Chilli Pepper". I don't consider this particularly bitter, so if you are new to dark chocolate don't be turned off by that. All the Venchi bars, even the 85% are quite creamy and sweet. If you want bitter, stick around and I'll introduce you to bitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment