Holiday Chocolates

Holiday Chocolates
Holiday Chocolates -beats cookies any day!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chocolate

Let's face it. The world could do with one more narcissistic blog devoted to chocolate. We're all addicted. Most of us, anyway. The only person I ever knew who truly, honestly did not like chocolate was my father, and he was a pretty strange guy. The idea for this blog came to me as I created a "Chocolate of the Week" section on my other blog, devoted to living a yogic life. I was having just a bit too much fun writing sidebar reviews of the chocolates I was consuming, that I decided to create this blog devoted solely to chocolate. These are the rules: chocolate, and only chocolate. If you want me to try a certain chocolate that you love, make sure to let me know where I can purchase it. If you've heard of a chocolate you want to try but have not yet found it, mention it because there is a good chance I have tried it, or can at least access it. If you send me free chocolate, I will be your friend forever, but cannot guarantee a stellar review. I can do no more than two actual chocolate reviews per week. If I start reviewing three or more chocolates per week, somebody please remind me to step on the scale and deal with reality.
My journey beyond Hershey's began about four years ago with a little book called "The Chocolate Connoisseur" by Chloe Doutre-Roussel. If you love chocolate and have not read this book, get it and be prepared to transform your taste in chocolate. I just happen to have a little chocolate shop in my town that carries a few of the brands that Chloe recommends in her book, so my tasting began in earnest. I tasted a little of this and a little of that, 65%, 70%, 75%, 77%, 80% and so on. I even contacted a man named Steve Devries out in Colorado who was mentioned in the book as a budding chocolatier of exceptionally high standards. I left my name and email address on his then-under-construction web page and just waited. Months passed and then the Word came: Devries Chocolates was open for business. Thus began my initiation into the world of real, unadulterated chocolate like no other I had known before.

No comments:

Post a Comment